Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Morning After: Locally Grown


I’ve been leisurely reading this book called “Lunch in Paris” by Elizabeth Bard. In between the pages of vivid descriptions of Parisian markets and the love story are dining experiences and French recipes with cooking techniques that would put my cooking to shame.

It’s not the best book to read while healing from my wisdom teeth as I’m still suffering through a practically all-liquid diet with the occasional treat of mushy foods like mac and cheese or mashed potatoes.

But this book got me thinking about Honolulu’s culinary community. With a big push for “farm to the table” dining, and emphasis on local foods — what is now a growing fad has always been in most of the world. We as Americans have become so accustomed to having choices, convenience, and luxury in our dining experiences when most dinners are made from whatever is available. I’ve realized that I don’t appreciate this commodity nearly as much as I should and in this coming week I’d like to challenge myself to only purchase locally produced food at the market and at any restaurants.

If you would like to join me in this challenge, or have any suggestions on local restaurants that feature locally grown dishes please email me at StarAdvertiserLacy@gmail.com


To read more on The Honolulu Pulse, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment